All Vertical Health websites were founded by doctors and are now operated by Vertical Health, LLC. Patient privacy has a longstanding tradition in medicine. In fact, the Hippocratic Oath (which is sworn to by physicians around the world), is over 2000 years old, and contains very specific requirements about patient privacy.
VH believes that advertising on the Internet is more interesting to the user when it is relevant. Therefore, through the use of your non-personally identifiable information and technologies such as cookies, IP’s, Device ID’s, Etc. (each described below), we and our business partners may deliver advertisements that are targeted towards your particular interests and your behavior on the Internet. This is sometimes called behavioral advertising.
Advertising may be delivered to you based upon information you have provided to us (such as your interests and demographic data) and non-personally identifiable information we collect ourselves from you (such as the pages you have viewed on the Sites or articles you have accessed). For instance, if you expressed an interest in a specific topic or have been reading articles on the Sites about a specific topic, we may serve advertisements specifically to you that are related to this topic. These targeted advertisements may appear on any number of Sites owned or controlled by VH that you visit, and may also appear on the Web sites of VH’s business partners which are not owned or controlled by VH. If you do not want to receive such targeted advertisements, then follow the instructions below in the section titled “Managing Cookies.”
The Information We Gather
VH collects two types of information from visitors or users of the Sites or the Services: “personally identifiable information,” such as your name and e-mail address and “aggregate” or “non-personally identifiable information”, such as information about a user’s use of the Sites (for example, how many users log on to Sites on a daily basis or view a particular article).
VH collects information from you at several different points on the Sites or through use of the Services, either through the use of technology such as cookies (explained below) or by asking you for specified information. Personally identifiable information is only collected by VH from you when you voluntarily provide it to us. This may occur when you voluntarily fill out a form or otherwise send information to VH. VH may require its subscribers and users to provide certain personal information if they wish to participate in various activities on the Sites (e.g., consummating transactions and entering into contests, drawings, or surveys). Non-personally identifiable information may be automatically collected from you in connection with your use of the Sites or Services.
Message Board, Chats, and Directories
Among the many Services which VH offers subscribers on the Sites, we provide voluntary message boards, chat rooms, directories, and other interactive forums. Please be aware that VH makes no commitment to monitor these forums. Furthermore, any information which you may post to a forum, including your personally identifiable information, will be disclosed and available to all users of that forum, and is therefore no longer private. By using the forums, you agree that VH is not responsible for any information that you disclose or communicate online in such forums, and any disclosures you make are at your own risk. VH reserves the right to republish your postings (in whole or part), taken from the forums, anywhere on the Sites, or elsewhere on the Web in any format or any other medium, including print and radio, without prior notice or your express consent.
How We Use the Information That We Gather
VH uses the information collected, including personally identifiable information, for a variety of purposes. For example, we use your information to better understand your needs and provide you with better products and services. We may use your information to respond to your inquiries or requests; communicate with you; update you on products, services, and benefits; alert you to promotional offers; personalize the Sites for you; contact you for market research; or provide you with marketing information, newsletters, or other information we think would be of particular interest.
VH may also share your personally identifiable information and/or aggregate information with our affiliates, technical consultants, third party auditors, and other third parties who create or maintain the Sites, enhance their functionality, or provide associated services and/or deal with you in processing your orders and/or delivering content, samples, products, services, and gifts and prizes.
VH will use your information to provide newsletters and marketing. You can withdraw permission for this at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us. VH uses third party service providers like MailChimp, Amazon Web Services, Rackspace, and ObjectLabs Corporation (mLab), to store data. You acknowledge that the information you provide may be transferred to the aforementioned service providers (or other similar services) for processing in accordance with their privacy policies.
VH uses certain technologies, such as “cookies,” to personalize and improve your online experience.
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that are transferred to your computer’s hard drive. Cookies store information about your visit to the Sites or your use of the Services, thereby allowing you to access certain VH Site features not otherwise available. The information in the cookie is transmitted from your computer to VH, our agents, or to one of our third-party authorized service contractors and business partners. The information contained in these cookies makes it possible for us to know if you are presently logged onto a Site or using any of the Services, or whether you have done so in a prior visit. This technology also enables VH to instantly determine your access privileges while allowing you to navigate the Sites or use any of the Services without having to repeatedly log in.
- Cookies from VH and/or one of our authorized service contractors or business partners are also used to collect standard information transmitted from your Web browser including, without limitation: your Internet protocol address, browser type, Web pages you visited with date and time, purchases you made on any of the Sites and the type of operating system on your computer. This information is used to help us understand and meet the ever-changing needs and interests of our visitors or subscribers.
- VH does not control any cookies you may receive from an advertiser or other third party and these cookies are not subject to this Policy, although the advertiser may have their own policy.
- VH also uses Web beacon technology to help track site usage. Web beacons (also called single pixel gifs or action tags) allow VH to track page viewing counts and pattern, which we use to focus and tailor future content development, measure the effectiveness of VH’s own marketing campaigns, and assist with broadband capacity management for the Sites.
- VH also employs Web beacons within the context of certain e-mails in order to determine the effectiveness and appeal of those mailings. These Web beacons notify VH if and when you open the e-mail, if your e-mail program is capable of displaying HTML messages, where you may navigate within these HTML messages, and when you click on a link in the message.
- VH also collects data that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. This may include information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, referrer URL, location, and the time zone where a user accesses our sites.
- Please note that VH reserves the right to access and/or disclose personally identifiable information and aggregate information we gather, as required by courts or administrative agencies and to the extent required to permit us to investigate suspected fraud, harassment, or other violations of any law, rule, or regulation, the Sites’ rules or policies, or the rights of third parties or to investigate any suspected conduct that VH deems improper.
VH’s policy is that it does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from individuals under thirteen years of age. The Services or Sites are not directed or intended for children under thirteen years of age. If you are under thirteen years of age, you should not register to become a Subscriber or provide personally identifiable information on any of the Sites. If you are the parent or guardian of a child whom you believe has disclosed personally identifiable information to VH, please contact VH at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may delete and remove such child’s information from our systems.
Disclosure of Personal Information in the Event of Merger or Sale of Assets
VH, its parent, subsidiaries, or affiliates, could merge with or be acquired by another business entity, or all or substantially all of their respective assets could be acquired, or the assets of this Site could be acquired or transferred to another business entity. Should such a combination, acquisition, transaction, or transfer occur, VH reserves the right to transfer some or all of your personally identifiable information and other information to our successors in business and purchasers (in whole or in part) of this Site’s assets.
Certain information or Services offered or provided through the Sites may, from time to time, be provided on or through other Web sites operated by or in conjunction with third parties (“Partners”). These Web sites and the features thereon may have the same “look and feel” as VH’s Sites and/or Services. VH terms these Web sites “co-branded sites”, and often times a Partner’s logo or name may appear on the Web site, or the Partner’s name may appear in the URL. Although VH will retain any personally identifiable information collected about you from one of these co-branded sites, such information may also be shared by VH with that Partner. A Partner’s use of any information shared will be subject to the Partner’s own privacy practices and policies.
Third Party Links
VH does not monitor, control, or endorse the information collection or privacy practices of any third parties including, without limitation, any Partner, advertiser, or other third party who may provide services throughout the Sites. On behalf of various sponsors, the Sites may provide sponsored links to third party Web sites or resources (“Linked Sites”). VH neither controls nor have we reviewed or approved the content that appears on such Linked Sites.
Even though certain information collected by such third parties might not identify you personally, we strongly encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices, and to contact them if you have any questions about their respective privacy policies and practices.
You acknowledge and agree that VH is not responsible for the legality, accuracy, or inappropriate nature of any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such Linked Sites. You further acknowledge and agree that VH shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods, and services available on or through any such Linked Site.
VH places a priority on the security of personally identifiable information, and we undertake reasonable security measures to protect the data that resides on our servers. VH also uses secure server software (SSL) to process all transactions that occur on the Sites. SSL encrypts all of your personal information transmitted over the Internet, including your credit card number, name, and address. However, no security system is impenetrable. VH cannot warrant or guaranty the security of its servers, nor can it guaranty that information supplied by Subscribers or other users will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet.
Correction/Updating Personal Information – Opt-Out
If your personally identifiable information changes (such as your address or ZIP code), or if you no longer desire to use or access one of the Sites or Services, VH encourages you to correct, update, or remove the personal information that you provided. This can be done at the “Manage My Account” page on each of the Sites. Keep in mind, however, that even if you delete your account from VH’s records, there will be residual information that will remain within VH’s databases, access logs, and other records, which may or may not contain personally identifiable information. VH is not responsible for updating or removing any information contained in third party lists or databases.
If VH makes changes to any of the terms or conditions of the Policy, this document will be revised so that you will always know what information we gather, how we might use that information, and to whom we will disclose it. We reserve the right to change, modify, add or remove portions of this Policy at any time and without notice, and any changes will become effective immediately upon being posted unless VH advises you otherwise. Your continued use of the Services and/or the Sites after this Policy has been amended shall be deemed to be your continued acceptance of the terms and conditions of the Policy, as amended. We encourage you to bookmark this Web page and review this Policy regularly.